FAQ [frequently asked questions]
What is a "shrub"?
At a very basic level (in this context at least), a shrub is a vinegar-based fruit syrup, not a bush. The history of shrubs dates back to the colonial era where shrubs were used to preserve fruit before refrigeration was invented. The vinegar helped to preserve the fruit while adding a unique flavor. The term “shrub” itself is derived from the Arabic word “sharāb” meaning “to drink”.
does your vinegar have "the mother" in it?
YES! We use 100% Certified ORGANIC APPLE CIDER VINEGAR WITH THE MOTHER. 100% of apples used to make the vinegar are sourced from the USA.
What is the shelf life on element [shrub]® and how long will it last once I open it?
Our shrubs will keep for 24 months unopened and unrefrigerated (see best by date on bottle). Once you open them, we do recommend keeping them in the fridge. They should be good for another 9-12 months once you open them but let’s hope you need more before then!
How much element [shrub]® should i use?
- For cocktails, we recommend anywhere between a 0.25 OZ - 1 OZ per cocktail depending on the drink.
- For sodas, we recommend a ratio of one 1 PART SHRUB TO 5-7 PART SELTZER depending on how strong you like your drinks.
- For cooking, use our shrubs IN LIEU OF WHATEVER ACID YOU ARE USING (i.e. lemon juice, red win vinegar) to acidity AND add a punch of flavor.
If you need a little inspiration, check out our recipe page.
Does Element [Shrub]® need to be refrigerated?
Element [Shrub]® does not need to be refrigerated until it is opened.
Once opened, it should be refrigerated.
Can I use Element [Shrub]® with food? if so, how?
Yes, absolutely! Just replace any other acid (balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, etc.) you use in your cooking with Element [Shrub]®.
- For Marinating - When marinating meats, vinegar helps tenderize the meat so our shrubs are functional AND add a punch of flavor.
- For Salad Dressings - Our shrubs + olive oil & salt make FANTASTIC salad dressings.
- As a Finishing Vinegar - Drizzle over fresh fruit or roasted vegetables.
- For Baking - Shrubs are also great for baking. When mixed with baking soda, it creates a carbon dioxide which makes muffins, cakes and pancakes fluffier.
Check out our recipe page for recipe inspiration!
ARE your shrubs vegan / gluten free?
Yes! Our shrubs are naturally vegan and gluten free. The sugar we use is 100% Certified Organic Cane Sugar and is also Certified Vegan.
Does your product contain alcohol?
No, our shrubs do NOT contain alcohol. In fact, we invented Element [Shrub]® as a alcohol alternative that was full of flavor without a ton of sugar. Check our OUR STORY to learn more.
Can my kids drink element [shrub]?
Yes! Element [Shrub]® and Element Shrub & Club® are both great, healthy juice and soda alternatives for your kids. Our 5-year-old loves them.
Can I buy this wholesale to sell at my store/restaurant/bar?
Yes! Please contact us for details.